Thursday, November 01, 2012

Move to Whitianga Monday 29th October


Years ago, when Doug and I were first married, we could carry all of our possessions in our car. Ha ha, how things have changed!! Now we need a ten ton truck and a Landrover.

To begin with, I felt pretty pleased with myself if I managed to pack one big box a day. I tackled those things that hardy ever get used, but never-the-less I wouldn't part with.
 ("Throw it out", Doug would say, " If you haven't used it in the last year, don't take it, there isn't room.") 
You can't throw out my grandmother's cups and saucers, Mum's  two tea sets; so I set about keeping most of it, but redistributed some to family and recycled those things that nobody wanted. 

We thought that one medium roll of bubble wrap would be enough,  and our son said that he could get us some boxes.Thousands of boxes, and an extra roll of bubble wrap later, we finally had it all under control.


A number of loads went over to Whitianga in the Landrover - workshop stuff, camping gear etc, and the week before, David followed Doug in my car to leave it there for me.


There were still too many cars and not enough garage space so Doug decided that the time had come to part with the dear old Skyline. It sold quickly -  Grandad spec - would now to begin its new life as a 'boy racer'.


Move day dawned, and at 7:30 am the truck arrived. Rain preceded it.


 David had already moved out but he came back to help on the day.


Dave and I took turns vacuuming and wiping things down as the movers rapidly emptied the house. We wanted to leave more or less at the same time as the truck so we could be there when they arrived.

The house was emptied within three hours so after a quick last good-bye to Nana we were on our way. We caught up with the truck just as they were pulling out at Tairua. It was still drizzling.


It was so good to finally arrive in Whitianga. Everyone had had enough by the time it came to unpacking but eventually the truck was emptied and the furniture places in the right rooms. My main aim then, was to produce a meal and get our bed made - tomorrow was another day.

No comments: